Digital Video Production
JOU 6361 / Fall, Spring
Participate in hands-on learning to shoot quality online video.
This course will allow students to hone critical thinking skills while becoming familiar with what comprises a publishable news video for online use. Students will participate in hands-on learning to shoot quality online video.
- Employ hands-on exercises to measure knowledge of the fundamentals of shooting and editing original news style online videos shot with a point-and-shoot digital video camera
- Edit video files for online use
- Identify current best practices by critiquing digital video for online news reports by worldwide professionals
- Visual storytelling with video for online news reports
- News photo ethics for online video with 21st century technology
- Types of cameras, lenses, tripods, lights, mics, bags and other useful gear
- Lighting tips and tricks
- Composition best practices: “guideline of thirds,” diagonals and curves
- Camera settings for prosumer or pro-level video gear
- The mission of the National Press Photographers Association (NPPA)
- Methods for displaying news video online: single video, gallery, hosting options, compression, sizing, SD vs HD flavors